So I just want to address some of the comments I have received on how I run my pulled pork fundraisers.
- The proceeds are intended to fund my PERSONAL volunteer trip abroad in May to Brazil
- I CHOOSE to donate a portion of the proceeds to another charity, not as a marketing gimmick, but because I want to give back to the community.
- This is something that I decided to do this year, last year I DID NOT donate any money to another organization, and only used the money to fund my own trip.
- First ever pulled pork fundraiser – December 10, 2012 (https://www.facebook.com/events/443878979007053)
- Second pulled pork fundraiser – April 18, 2013 (https://www.facebook.com/events/527401933982650)
- Third – November 13, 2013 (https://www.facebook.com/events/560357314040415)
- Fourth – December 12, 2013 (https://www.facebook.com/events/473477716100657)
- Fifth – April 10, 2014 (https://www.facebook.com/events/261375977375350)
- The charities that I select are ALL important to me; I decided to put the final decision up to a vote because you guys are the ones who are buying the sandwiches.
- I put my vote in just like everyone else does
- If you choose to not buy a sandwich from me because you do not support the charity that people have voted on, then that is your decision,
- If you are that invested in a specific cause or organization, then DO SOMETHING about it!
Why I decided to do pulled pork fundraisers:
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I’m not one to ask people for anything/much and when I am offered something, I rarely take it. It was difficult for me to find ways to fund raise for my volunteer trip to Venezuela/Brazil last year, or at least difficult finding ways where I could make money and give something back in return. Being on campus and seeing the limited amounts of “healthy” food options made me upset, so I thought, “why not sell food, food that’s homemade, healthy and filling?”, that is when I came up with the idea of selling pulled pork sandwiches!
I put in a lot of time, energy and care into making the pork; I trim the fat, skim the fat, try to put fruit into the recipe and try to use as many fresh ingredients as I can. (when I made the apple pulled pork, the apple butter was made with apples from St. Jacobs farmers market). All the care I put into these fundraisers has really paid off, and every fundraiser I hold, more and more people want these sandwiches, so it is so heartwarming to know that you guys love the sandwiches so much!
What recipe(s) do I use? and the whole “you should share your recipe!” issue:
For anyone that’s actually seen me cook, recipes are non-existent. It’s also the reason why I change the flavour of pulled pork each and every time; I don’t think I could recreate the same “batch” twice, and I usually have no idea what the pulled pork tastes like (I’m not really a fan of it… but don’t tell anyone).
Here are some of the charities and causes I have donated to this year:
- KidsAbility : $65.00
- Canadian Red Cross – Typhoon Haiyan Fund : $76.00
- Huntsman Cancer Foundation (on behalf of Sigma Chi Laurier Chapter): $40.00