Stuck indoors on a rainy afternoon? Why not make your own wontons/shrimp dumplings! They’re fun and easy to make.
Wontons are typically made with a mix of shrimp and pork. Har gows are standard Dim Sum fare, which consist of shrimp and bamboo shoots. These wontons take the filling from har gows and puts them into Wonton form.
This recipe yields approximately 120 wontons. These can stay stored in an airtight container in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
Wonton wrappers can typically be found in the produce aisle(s) of your local grocers, and bamboo shoots in the ethnic food aisle.
Ingredients: (yields approx. 120 wontons)
- 30 shelled/deveined, raw, large shrimp, chopped ( 0.5cm )
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger ( I prefer this to fresh ginger as there is less liquid)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 6 bunches of scallions (green onions), finely chopped
- 1 227ml can of bamboo shoots, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- about 120 square wonton wrappers (4 packs for me)
- Mince the bamboo shoots and scallions. In large glass mixing bowl, mix garlic, sesame oil, ginger, bamboo shoots and scallions together.
- Chop the shrimp into 0.5cm cubes, smaller is okay, but avoid going any larger. This allows for the savoury crunch of the shrimp when you bite into the wontons.
- Add shrimp, salt, pepper, and the lightly beaten egg into the large mixing bowl. Mix well, cover and let sit in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Before starting to wrap the wontons, prepare your work station: have a small bowl with water, a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, a tsp measuring spoon and a good movie on.
- Open wonton wrapper packages as needed, this prevents it from drying out and hardening.
- Watch this video on how to wrap wontons:
- These can be cooked fresh or frozen. After the dumplings are all made, place the tray with the extras in the freezer until frozen, then proceed to place in freezer bags. These can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- The cook time is approximately 7-8 minutes. The water should be boiling before wontons are placed in the pot.
Ways to cook:
- In 1/2 chicken stock- 1/2 water soup, with chopped green onions as a garnish
- Boiled in water, with a soy sauce-sesame oil dipping sauce
Let me know what you guys think in the comments!