I’ve been going through a healthy alternatives kick lately, and I was craving potato tater tots like there was no tomorrow. Having cut out fried foods as much as possible and trying to stay away from processed foods, I decided to try and make a healthier alternative!
This recipe is gluten-free and vegan. I made nacho cheese flavoured tots. This was my first time trying nutritional yeast. Oh my God, if you’re a fan of nuttier and stronger cheeses, this is a fantastic replacement. It’s high in B12 and thiamine.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower finely chopped (food processor is a great tool for this)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (other flours can be used as wellhttp://www.charitymiles.org/)
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (gives it the cheesy taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp of water (an egg can be used)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Finely chop 1/2 a head of cauliflower. I used a food processor to break it down. If you’re cutting it the old fashioned way, finely chop the flowery parts, and roughly chop the stems. This will give it a better crunch like potato taters. Finely chop green onion.
- In a bowl, mix cauliflower, green onion and spices together. Add the water, mix thoroughly. If mixture is too dry, gradually add more water and mix. The mixture should clump together and hold its shape. Let sit for 5 mins to allow the tapioca starch to bind the mixture.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2cm between the taters.
- Bake for 25 mins on one side, flip and bake 15. For a crunchier tater, I recommend broiling them before serving!
Let me know what you guys think in the comments!